Thursday, August 20, 2009

August 20, 2009, New York Mets story for Metro NY Newspaper

US – Thursday, August 20
Published 17:08, August the 20th, 2009


Braves punish Parnell, rout Mets


Braves 15, Mets 2


Bobby Parnell sat in the dugout and stared blankly at an empty field.


Just a few hours earlier, his manager called Parnell’s start last night against the Braves “a good test,” before praising the second year pitcher’s preternatural calm.


In his third MLB start, Parnell took the mound, and, in a fashion that is exclusive to the 2009 Mets (56-64), was promptly outclassed.


The Braves (63-57) obliterated Parnell (3-5) to the tune of nine runs on nine hits in three innings and routed the Mets, 15-2.


Most of the damage came in the second inning, in which Atlanta scored eight runs on seven hits and a wild pitch, highlighted by Brian McCann’s mammoth three-run homer. The Braves sent 11 batters to the plate in the inning.


“I felt like I pitched (well). I felt like my pitches were there," Parnell said. "I felt strong; (it was just) seeing-eye singles. My game plan is to make them hit the ball. Some ground balls got through, some balls off the end of the bat. I’m going to take the same game plan into the next game."


He came into the game with a 3.50 ERA. When he makes his next start Monday afternoon at Citi Field against the reigning World Champions, Parnell will have a 4.74 ERA.


Parnell once again struggled mixing his pitches. Of the 71 pitches Parnell threw last night, 60 were fastballs. After throwing 68 and 86 pitches in his first two starts, it was expected that Parnell would be allowed to throw close to 100 pitches against a veteran-laden Braves lineup.


“It was pretty hard (stuff). I think he’s still in the mode of, ‘When I get in trouble, I have to throw it even harder,’" Manuel said. "If we can get him to, as much trouble as he gets in, to soften (his stuff) and be even softer. As he pitches, he’ll grow and mature and understand that concept a little better."


Parnell disagreed with his manager’s performance assessment.


“I try to go with what works and with what’s my best pitch on that day. Today it was the fastball. I tried to attack the hitters with it. I felt like I made some good pitches and some ground balls got through,” Parnell said.


Manuel had spent a great deal of time Tuesday expounding on the idea that the final six weeks of the season will be primarily be used to determine the future of Mets’ on-field personnel. Parnell is among the players that may much to gain in the season’s final month-and-a-half. Promoted to the rotation on Aug. 5 after Jonathan Niese tore his hamstring, Parnell is 1-2 with an 8.76 ERA. Still, one start won't make or break his future with the club.


“I wanted him to mix in off-speed pitches. (In the third inning), he at least showed some changeups and sliders. He’s still growing and he’ll have outings such as this every now and then. He’ll learn from it,” Manuel said.